Monday, August 30, 2010

Mirrored Ceiling Medallion


We are in the process of transforming our daughter's room from "princess castle retreat" to "Hollywood Glam Fashion Designer Den". When I say, "we" I mean Brooks does all the physical dirty work and I do all the shopping, design and fun stuff. The princess room had this daisy fan with gold ceiling and twinkle dragon fly lights. For the re-design we opted for a crystal chandelier for that sparkly Hollywood Glam style. I found a 1950's crystal chandelier on Craig's list for $130 smackers. What a deal! I went online looking for a mirrored ceiling medallion that would reflect the light and cast a glow around the room. I was very disappointed in what was available online. Just about the only thing I could find was this beauty from Horchow. But, it was way out of our price range. Since we are bonafide DIY'ers, I was on a quest to find a more budget friendly option. Around the same time, as luck would have it, Design Sponge ran this story on DIY mirrored boxes. Eureka! I had a light bulb moment. With a little ingenuity, I could transform the mirrored candle plates into my own mirrored medallion. And, when I say, "make my own mirrored medallion", I mean I could shop for the stuff and Brooks could wave his magic wand and make it appear. So, I made a trip to Hobby Lobby. They happened to be having their famous half off sale. So I got all the mirrors for $32. They came with those awful stickers right smack in the middle of the plates. I found out if you heat the stickers with the hair dryer, they peel off much easier. Next, we figured out our pattern and Brooks stuck them up with a tube of liquid nails.
Here is the end result.
I think it turned out pretty "Hollywood Fabulous" for under $35. Stay tuned for more updates of our Hollywood Glam makeover.

7 comments:

  1. Hey, I really like this. It's awesome and something different. Keep up the good work, keep on inspiring.
    Blessings,
    Heidi
    www.simplyfauxpainting.com
    www.fauxacademy.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mirrored ceiling medallion is so creative and really "glam" too......I think you are brillant to come up with this idea. I realize this is an older post but I just found via Pinterest as someone had posted this photo of your medallion. I am now your newest follower. Please, visit me at my blog, Tea Party Everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you please share the dimensions of the mirrored hexagons?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What adhesive did you use to put them up? (And make them stay ?) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice collection.
    Keep sharing great content.
    Royal Carving

    ReplyDelete